Financial Computing and Data Science


The funding sources available for study on the PhD in Financial Computing & Analytics depend on your nationality, country of residence, work or studying status in the UK and academic qualifications.

You can apply directly to the Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) for funding, or to the general scholarship funds of UCL. These are highly competitive and tend to be allocated early in the year.

Self-funding may also be an option for students of all nationalities.

PhD Scholarships

Full scholarship funding covers living expenses support, as well as tuition fees. This is available to students with UK nationality and those from European Union countries.

Applicants from non-EU countries who have worked in the UK for more than 3 years and gained permanent residency are also eligible to apply for full scholarships.

Successful applicants typically have a first class masters degree with distinction or merit, or extensive relevant experience in the finance industry.

The new UCL CDT coordinates PhD recruitment for Computer Science, Statistics and related departments, offering two types of scholarship:

  • UCL PhD Scholarship – a fully funded 3-year PhD where each student will spend 4 days per week in the department and 1 day with their industry partner.
  • Industry PhD Scholarship – a fully funded 3-year PhD where each student spends 4 days per week with their industry partner and 1 day at UCL. Students will be recruited by the CDT and interviewed jointly with the partner company; or will be company employees who base their PhD research on their job function.

The UCL PhD stipend and fees for 2019 are:


Stipend pa

Fees pa



3-year Total

PhD Home






PhD Overseas






Company employees pay only the fees

Sources of funding

Further opportunities for funding are open to students in their own countries. Applicants should research all the alternatives available, as it is their own responsibility to establish a source of funding.
European Union

The EU provides some grants to promote the exchange of students and academic staff within Europe, such as the SOCRATES and LEONARDO Programmes.

The European Commission(EC) also makes some awards to students from developing countries.

Contact the CEC office in your own country or write to the European Commission:
Directorate General III, Rue de la Loi 200, B-1049 Brussels, Belgium.

Some European countries provide scholarships for their citizens to study in the UK, please contact the educational authorities in your own country to see if they provide support. For example:

The German Academic Exchange Service may provide funding for German students.
The German Research Foundation is another very good source.

UCL is part of the Santander Universities programme, which offers scholarships for students from Spain, Portugal and Latin America studying on Masters programmes and PhD student and staff research projects. The programme also sponsors the Abbey/1-UCL awards, acknowledging outstanding achievement and commitment by UCL students outside their studies.


The CDT cannot provide scholarships for non-EU (foreign) students unless they have been working for 3 or more years in the UK prior to application, and have permanent residence status.

The first port of call for all foreign students should be grant-awarding bodies in their own country (e.g. The Ministry or Department of Education) and their local office of the British Council, who manage a small number of international scholarships and can advise on other awards available to you. The British Council also produces the ‘Sources of Funding for International Students’ guide.


JASON is a search engine useful for finding postgraduate scholarships available to Australian students.


CAPES provides funding for university lecturers in Brazil, and where training is not available internationally.
CNPq – The National Council for Scientific and Technological development is a foundation linked to the Ministry of Science and Technology to support Brazilian research.

British Commonwealth

Full scholarships are available via the Commonwealth Scholarship Plan, enabling Commonwealth students to study in other Commonwealth countries. Grants are for one to three years and usually cover the cost of travel, tuition fees and living expenses. In some cases, additional allowances may be available for help with books and clothes.

Residents of Commonwealth countries can also apply for British Chevening Scholarships, British Council Fellowship Programmes and Overseas Research Scholarships.

For details, write to:
Commonwealth Awards Division
Association of Commonwealth Universities
John Foster House
36 Gordon Square

+44 (0)20 7387 8572        
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Students in developing Commonwealth countries can apply for the DFID Shared Scholarship Scheme for UCL taught courses at postgraduate level. Preferred subjects are those relevant to the economic and social development of their own country.

For details, contact the British High Commission or British Council in your own country, or write to:

Department for International Development
94 Victoria Street

+44 (0)20 7917 7000
+44 (0)20 7917 0126


Students can apply to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC), for federally funded loans and Canada Study Grants for post-secondary education.


KC Wong Postgraduate Scholarship Loan Programme


Colfuturo is a scholarship loan programme offering 50/50 scholarship loans of up to US$25,000 for Colombians to pursue graduate study abroad for up to two years.


Egypt Missions Department Scholarships are offered by the Missions Department of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education to university academics to pursue doctoral programmes at UCL. 


CONACyT-UCL Graduate Fellowships


The Higher Education Commission is an excellent site detailing scholarships available to Pakistani students wishing to study abroad. Also try the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship.


The Office of the Civil Service Commissioners OCSC is a body that provides funding for Thai students.

The Bank of Thailand can also fund certain students.


Fulbright Scholarships enable US graduates to study in the UK.

Write to:
Graduate Students Programs
Institute of International Education (IIE)
809 United Nations Plaza
New York
NY 10017- 3580

British Marshall Scholarships are for US citizens under 26 who are graduates of US universities, enabling them to study for a degree in the UK. Write to:

Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission
John Foster House
36 Gordon Square
+44 (0)20 7387 8572
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Application forms are available from United States universities and colleges, British Consulates General in the United States, or:
British Information Services
845 Third Avenue
New York
NY 10022

Powered by SoftForge